My Articles and Books about aquariums and ponds
in PDF format for you to read or download.
Because most surfers
now use a mobile phone, the format will be designed for these
screens e.g. see Special
Articles below …
1. Want to get a Goldfish? - read a Beginner’s Guide - click HERE
2. A Guide to Tropical Fish - click HERE
3. Nutrition for Fish - a 25 page booklet on the subject
including valuable feeding advice - click HERE
4. How to build a pond on a slope - click HERE
5. How to repair a leaking pond - click HERE
Aquariums - History & Travel
6. My personal history of the fishkeeping hobby:
100 Years of Fishkeeping” - click HERE
7. Going to Florida?
Read this first: ‘Disney for Aquarists’ - click HERE
Tropical Fish monthly magazine articles:-
8. Test Kits for freshwater aquaria - click HERE
Click to change page:-
This is the Articles page
9. Test Kits for marine aquaria - click HERE
10. Aquarium Essentials - Part 1 Old Aquariums - click HERE
11. Aquarium Essentials - Part 2 New Aquariums - click HERE
12. Water for Aquaria - Parts 1, 2 & 3. - click HERE
13. Aquarium Essentials - Airpumps - click HERE
14. Aquarium Essentials - Hydrometers - click HERE
15. Aquarium Essentials - The Thermometer Story - click HERE
16. Aquarium Essentials - The Science of Siphoning - click HERE
The World’s Largest Aquarium?
18. The Dubai Aquarium - click HERE
19. The Atlanta Aquarium - click HERE
17. Lights and Lighting - click HERE
by Dr David Ford
Feeding Aquarium Fishes
This is my book on how to feed your fish (copyrights waived by
kind permission of Ringpress by Interpet).
There are over 60 pages so allow time to download.
Maintenance of Aquaria
This is my book written for Usborne Publishing in their Spotter’s Guide series. they have allowed pages 54 and 55 to be reproduced, which contain useful information on tank stocking and maintenance; download the PDF to read….
(Reproduced from Spotter’s Guide to Aquarium Fishes by permission of Usborne Publishing, 83-85 Saffron Hill, London EC1N 8RT, UK. www.usborne.com Copyright © 1980 Usborne Publishing Ltd)
2 Pages in Adobe PDF….Click HERE
All the World’s Animals - pet fish section
A book by Torstar written for the American market - I wrote the section on pet fish, shown here in 6 pages in PDF….Click HERE
Aquarium Systems edited by A.D.Hawkins
An Academic book for scientific studies with aquarium systems - I wrote the section on ‘small aquaria’, reproduced here by copyright permission from Elsevier. The original book is ISBN 0-12-33380-6 (1981)
23 pages in PDF….Click HERE
This section contains books I have written or contributed a chapter
(4 scanned, so far….)
The WHY? Series
20. Why Filter? - click HERE
21. Why Won’t it Go? - click HERE
22. Why Aerate? - Click HERE
23. Why Do Remedies Fail? - HERE
24. Why is my Pond Green? - Click HERE
25. Why (are Marines different?) - USA version - click HERE
26. Why Marines? - UK version - click HERE
27. Why Plant? - click HERE
The first 30 year history of AQUARIAN - how it was invented and marketed for aquarists world-wide.
Now updated to 40 years!
Click HERE for Computer Version
Articles are from maintenance
(me at home)
Long story! Allow time
for it to
..and from research & development
(me at work)
…for information on….
More Special Articles
The HISTORY of the
The 40 years that a mobile stand
was used to promote the Aquarian
brand ! Click HERE
The HISTORY of the
Advertising from 1970’s,
1980's and 1990’s.
Extras! Articles ex aquatic magazines - possibly no longer printed
This was my reply to a query in Aquarist & Pondkeeper back in April 1994.
It explains all about Water Hardness terms over the years.
Click HERE for PHONE version
Back in 1988 two interesting articles were published by Practical Fishkeeping magazine - available now for downloading to read as a PDF. Although very old
the content is still valid ….
Pure Gold - the goldfish story, click HERE
Fish Facts - myths too, click HERE
In 2010 the Tropical Fish magazine (no longer printed) published two of my
articles (June & July) about how to build and run a Fish House - click HERE